Re: Portable Cygwin on a CD

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:

> [snip]
> > See if Cygwin's installed (has a mount table), and if so, run /bin/ps?
>
> That would definitely be a cleaner way to do it :)
> Perhaps also look for cygwin1.dll in the PATH, just to make sure (try a
> LoadLibrary of cygwin, for example) - there may be cygwin apps around
> without there being an actual installation..

Yes, that's actually a good idea.  IIRC, though, LoadLibrary looks in the
current directory first, so be careful in where you call it from, lest it
picks up the DLL on the CD.

> ..but in that case ps would still find them, so just running ps should be
> fine.
>
> If Cygwin is already running, and ps is on the CD next to cygwin1.dll,
> will the one in memory be used, or will Windows try to load the one next
> to ps? (I don't know all that much about Windows' runtime loader sematics)

Note that I said "run /bin/ps", not just "run ps".  If Cygwin is
installed on the target machine, you have to run the ps from *that*
cygwin's /bin, just in case *that* cygwin1.dll is already loaded.  If you
try to run the ps from the CD, you'll get an error trying to load the DLL
from the CD.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II