Re: SSE2 priviliged instruction exception

On Friday 02 May 2003 15:32, Kenn Heinrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I couldn't find an answer on Google, so here goes:
>
> I get a privileged instruction exception on a P4 win 2K. The same
> code (and more extensive use of SSE2) executes properly on
> a pentium 4 redhat 8 box. gcc is 3.2
>
> #include <xmmintrin.h>
> #include <stdio.h>
> main()
> {
>   __m128 k;
>   k = _mm_setzero_ps();
>   printf("done\n");
> }
>
> and compile it with
>
> gcc -march=pentium4 -msse2
rtfm, even before Googling:  'info gcc' preferred-stack.  Unfortunately,
'info malloc' lies on this topic, but that's not within the sphere of
influence of gcc maintainers.  Nor is this corner of gcc under the control of
cygwin maintainers.
On linux, you may have a 50/50 chance of being lucky with alignment; on
Windows, maybe 25/75.  You have not taken any measure to get the stack
aligned before allocating memory. You could malloc() and adjust for an
aligned pointer, or push the allocation down into a function.
--
Tim Prince