Re: One system works, the other doesn't

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 10:51:57AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 2003, Peter Davis wrote:
>
> > Forgive me if this is a repost.  I tried to send this to the Cygwin list
> > the other day, but I never saw it appear.
> >
> > I have two systems running Cygwin: an NT4 (home) machine and a XP
> > (work) machine.  I've tried to make them as similar as possible, but
> > there are apparently some differences that elude me.  Specifically:
> >
> > 1) At home (NT4), .bashrc is automatically run when I fire up a bash
> >    shell.  At work, it doesn't, though I can manually run it with
> >    source ~/.bashrc
> >
> > 2) At home (NT4), the simple perl script I use to filter mutt messages
> >    before displaying them works beautifully.  At work (XP), the
> >    messages all display with ^M at the end of every line.  (This is
> >    recent ... since I just re-installed Cygwin on this machine.  It
> >    *used* to work.)
> >
> > 3) At home, mutt has no trouble telling me which MH mailboxes contain
> >    new mail.  At work, however, this function of mutt doesn't work.
> >    Once I open the mailbox, the new messages are correctly marked with
> >    'N', but when I attempt to change mailboxes, mutt doesn't prompt me
> >    as it should.
> >
> > I've compared the output from 'cygcheck -s -v' on the two machines,
> > but I didn't see anything obvious.  (The work machine has more
> > packages installed.)  Can anyone suggest what might be responsible for
> > these quirks?
> >
> > Currently, the NT4 (home) machine is working *better* than the XP
> > (work) one.  Since I'll be upgrading the home machine to a new box
> > running XP shortly, I'd like to find out what's going on.
> >
> > Thanks very much!
> > -pd
>
> Peter,
>
> FYI, this doesn't belong on cygwin-apps...

Sorry.  Since it's mostly mutt problems, I thought it would fit there.

> Can *we* see the output of cygcheck on both machines?  And make that
> "cygcheck -svr" (note the "-r" flag).  Please attach it as an uncompressed
> text attachment, after making sure your mailer doesn't provide text
> attachments inline.

I'm attaching the output from the XP (non working) machine.  I'll have
to send the NT4 (working) one later, since I don't have access to that
machine right now.

> My guess about the .bashrc problem is that the machine that runs it
> doesn't give a "--login" flag to bash in cygwin.bat.  Alternatively, the
> default .bash_profile tests for the existence of .bashrc, and if you have
> weird permissions, 'test' might return the wrong result.  Compare the
> .bash_profile's on both machines (and /etc/profile).

cygwin.bat does use the --login flag.  Copying .bashrc to
bash_profile seems to work, so it's running that file.  Possibly the
NT4 machine is automatically running .bashrc from .bash_profile.  I'll
check that when I get home.

> The WAG for the "^M"s is that you've accidentally changed the mount type
> from text to binary on your work machine when you reinstalled.  The
> "cygcheck -svr" output should show whether this is the case.
> 	Igor

The mounts are binmode on the XP (non working) machine, but I believe
they are on the NT4 machine also.  I would think that's what I want,
since I *want* Unix format files with just \n as the separator.  The
question is: who's putting those \r's in there?

Thanks,

-pd

--
--------