Re: App w/excessive soft page faults (fwd)

Anyone know what classified this as spam?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:47:10 -0500 (CDT)
From: Brian Ford <ford@vss.fsi.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: App w/excessive soft page faults (fwd)

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Brian Ford wrote:
>
> > Ok, I was able to find the stricmp calls by setting a break point in gdb.
> > They were coming from either wglMakeCurrent or wglSwapLayerBuffers.  I
> > can only vaguely imagine why these are causing page faults, though.
> >
> > Interstingly enough, "info function stricmp" returns:
> > 0x77f520c0  ntdll!_stricmp
> > 0x77f520c0  stricmp
> > 0x77c422a2  msvcrt!_stricmp
> > 0x77c422a2  stricmp
> >
> > Yet "break stricmp" or "break 'ntdll!_stricmp'" return:
> > Breakpoint 1 at 0x77f78f67
> >
> > Notice the address?  This is actually in tan().
> >
> > "break 'msvcrt!_stricmp'" returns the a more proper:
> > Breakpoint 1 at 0x77c422a7
> >
> > Incidentally, the one being used was the former.
>
> Try setting the breakpoint at the exact function address.  You will have
> to step through assembly, but since all you really want is a backtrace...

Yeah, that was how I actually found it "break *0x77f520c0".

> > The RtlTimeFieldsToTime calls are still alluding me.  MSDN says these are
> > Driver Support Routines.  That probably explains why breakpoints aren't
> > working.  Must be inside the ATI Radeon drivers?
> >
> > On a side note, and my gdb may be out of date (20030303-1), when I start
> > it, it always goes into the background and I must fg to get it back.
> > CYGWIN="tty ntsec"  Anyone else have this issue?
>
> 'type -a gdb' from bash.  You might have an alias or a shell function
> defined...

Nope.  /usr/bin/gdb.exe causes the described behavior.  But, now I see
it only happens when I try and attach to a running process.  BTW, it
happens in bash under rxvt, telnet, rlogin, etc.  cygcheck output
attached in case it matters.

Thanks.

--
Brian Ford