RE: Cygwin survey: Next vim version with perl support?

Geez...you'd be surpised at the people who use cygwin on Windows.

I'm using Windows primarily because I can't reliably and long term
due Linux development right now directly.  Linux used to be my
primary desktop, but some bad RSI, double crush nerves (RSI caused
by manager who was allowed to do with me as he pleased).

While I used to do alot of edit/builds, I'm more mousing around and
doing the occasional script/email while my body heals -- which isn't
going fast.  So when I use Cygwin, it's usually because of lacks
in Win and the fact that I still interop with my Linux server here
at home.  I don't use Cygwin because I'm getting off on building my
own <insert latest advice to "setup a CVS tree"/"download tarball">.
I have alot more ideas that typing time and my time on the computer
is limited depending on the day and the phase of the moon and
probably the astrological position of the planets.

At my last job, I was writing kernel drivers, kernel code and helping
our buildmeister (make ignorant) take our build time from 5-6 hours
down to about 35-45 minutes (4-P machine), amazing what parallelism
will do for you.  Got to build my own packages past my heart's
content and eventually was assigned documentation only in retaliation
for linux political hobnobbing outside of work (my boss seemed to
feel that he owned me - lawyers reluctant to touch w/o enough in
writing, which previous boss, self-professed follower of Machiavelli,
was careful to avoid -- even to the point of physically threatening me
(he doesn't "remember" that conversation but doesn't go so far as
to deny it).

Everyonce in a while I try to do something small....even writing a
perl script -- oops...sorry, headers in 5.8 were broken -- here's
a patch you can apply (oops....patch is for what?  didn't say? libwin.dll?
Where is that source and how do I build it?  It's
probably in the cygwin sources somewhere....move this item off the
top of the queue -- lets go rearrange my sock drawer --  oops only
half finished cause I find 6 single socks and and now my back is
bothering me; let's take some more painmeds and try to mow the lawn
(self-propelled)....changing positions changes/removes pain).

So in general, I try to get others to do things or try to find
alternate ways to get what I want done.  I've tried voice recogn. but
my current computer doesn't have a prayer.  Got a new one from Dell
but the screwed up the order and it is taking ...9 months to clean
up the mess and now Dell doesn't even have a compatible system for me
to order (their high end USB-2.0 compliant laptop only comes in a
16:9'ish "1900x1200" size). Useful for movies if I ever wanted to watch
a DVD on my laptop with 2 tin speakers instead of my 5.1 sound system
in my living room, but not exactly business compatible.  But they
didn't want it to be business compatible -- they want businesses to
buy their more expensive Lattitude line (imagine a laptop that supports
external SCSI drives via the docking station!).

Anyway....short and sweet....I don't like things where I have to
open up console windows.  I can point and click long past the point
of my mind becoming numb, but try getting involved in 4-5 tty windows?:
not something I can do much of.  And so far, nothing, except my
kernel builds (which I update with XFS and a few things) seem to
go smoothly -- always some undefined this or that.

I can't even pull items out of the perl lib and have them build --
even in a str8 linux env.  It's frustrating that they list all of these
nice modules, you pull one out to use, and it just up and doesn't
work for one reason or another.  Doesn't anyone test their code or
is that always expected of end-users these days.  Sometimes it
feels like trying to build a house out of straws and toothpicks
on a foundation of sand, that is really, quicksand under the right conditions,
but could be lava if you use the wrong toothpicks.
And besides straws and toothpicks are unsupported configuration.

:-/
-l