Re: setup problems on NT 4.0 and Win2000?

Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry about the late reply from me :)

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> Does the log file get produced (look in /var/log/setup.log and
> /var/log/setup.log.full).  If either of them mentions your latest install
> (the one that hung), please attach the relevant sections (gzipped).

Nope - these files are empty...

> If
> not, what are the symptoms of the hang?  Does the "Cancel" button work?

I tried the Cancel button now, and yes it works. However it gives
me the error "could not write file <path-to-/var/log/>setup.log".
As I have tried installing again just now it even only completes
very few percent of the installation. I tried 2 times and the second
time it only completed 1%.
The other times I tried earlier, usually it completed about 40%.

As for symptoms I would clearly say an infinite loop. It's like the
GUI-label with the filename being installed continues to flash slightly,
as if the GUI-label field is continuously being written to and updated
by a Windows repaint or something.
It also uses a lot of CPU-power and if I leave it
for a long time it even starts to consume a lot of memory
(it seems at least...) - at some point the desktop screen even became
black after waiting for a while, and I could only get things
back to normal by using "kill task" in the task-managaer
(but the machine was very sluggish in letting me do this).

> This is obviously not reproducible by most people here, so you may have to
> debug this yourself.  Can you reproduce the hang on the debugging snapshot
> of setup (available at <http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/>)?

I just tried the setup-2.358-debug-O0.exe and after having selected
"install from local dir", "Unix-textfiles" and the directories to
install from and to it just crashes with a segmentation fault!
And since this is Windows NT, it usually means that the app really does
something bad. (In other Windows variants it could easily be another
app. doing something bad and the system being unstable in general).

> If so, you
> might try attaching to the hung process with gdb and getting a backtrace
> (of all threads): "info threads" to get their numbers, then "thread #"
> (where "#" is the thread number, e.g., 1), then "where".  Then post the
> output here...

Well, I guess I can't do this with the debug snapshot I tried. And also -
do you mean that I can install gdb in a "normal" Windows version
or that I should use the Cygwin one? Because if you mean the Cygwin
version then it might be a problem, since this is what I can't install :)

Do you have any ideas based on the above info?

Cheers
--
http://www.HardcoreProcessing.com