RE: setup.exe: Woe is me!

On Saturday, April 26, 2003 7:47 PM, Phil Bewig [SMTP:pbewig at swbell dot net] wrote:
> On Saturday, April 26, 2003 7:28 PM, Phil Bewig [SMTP:pbewig at swbell dot net] wrote:

> > > Phil,
> > >
> > > Did you try the snapshot?..
> > > 	Igor
> > > --
> > > 				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
> > >       |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu
> > > ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		igor at watson dot ibm dot com
> > >      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'		Igor Pechtchanski
> > >     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL	a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
> > >
> > > Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
> > >   -- Leto II
> >
> > I downloaded the snapshot of setup.exe version 2.358.  Setup
> > runs, calculating the MD5 checksums and giving me a screen
> > to choose packages.  I did nothing on the chooser screen, just
> > accepting the default installation.  Now I have a progress screen
> > that indicates it is installing ash-20020731-1 /bin/sh.exe; the
> > progress bar is blue all the way across, the total bar is gray all
> > the way across, and the disk bar is blue about one-tenth of the
> > way across, indicating over 900MB of disk space remaining on
> > d:.  The screen has been sitting here unchanged for about 20
> > minutes now, but still responds when I drag the title bar to move
> > the window.  This is exactly the same situation I experienced
> > earlier with the 2.340 version of setup.exe.
> >
> > I notice that there seems to be some flicker in the setup.exe
> > window, as if it is being redrawn.  The flicker is intermittent,
> > about every 30 seconds, when there are several brief flickers,
> > then the screen is steady until the next set of flickers.  Why?
> >
> > I assume because the progress bar is blue all the way across
> > that the sh.exe file has been extracted; is that correct?  The
> > file is not present when I look at the drive contents with
> > Explorer.  Can someone tell me exactly what should be
> > happening at this point?
> >
> > I'll let this keep running and report what happens.
> >
> > Once again, many thanks to everyone for their kind help.
> >
> > Phil
>
> Setup.exe has now been running for about 45 minutes
> with no change.
>
> I notice that something is consuming much disk space,
> about 65MB of disk space since I cleaned up some
> unneeded files earlier this afternoon, and about 15MB
> in the last 15 minutes.  The only processes currently
> active are device drivers, setup.exe, MS Outlook, and
> MSIE, which has been browsing www.cygwin.com.
> The firewall is active and reports two blocked attempts
> to access my system while setup.exe has been
> running.  Would setup.exe consume disk space at
> that rate?  Why?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Phil

I notice in the task window that a program called
mapisp32 is running.  Find reports that it is located
at c:\windows\system\mapisp32.exe.  I do not recall
having seen mapisp32 in the task list previously.
Can anyone tell me what this program does?  Is
this program somehow related to the setup.exe
problem?

Phil