Re: [newbie] how to install cygwin by version? and fix breakage?

Qwer Zxcv wrote:
>> How can I install a new version of cygwin, such that

>> * my old version remains undisturbed, and can be used if needed

>> * the new version knows my old customizations (e.g. downloaded/
>>   installed packages, mounts, profile, bash settings)

<big snip>

Max Bowsher <maxb at ukf dot net> wrote:
> There is no recommended procedure to install multiple versions of
> Cygwin. The recommended procedure is to keep old package versions
on
> your hard disc and roll back to them if you need to.

Umm, I thought that's what I meant by "my old version remains
undisturbed, and can be used if needed." But apparently not, so allow
me to revise the question:

1 How can one install a new version of cygwin so as to preserve old
  package versions in such a manner that one can roll back if needed?