1.32.22 Cygwin Installation Problem on XP?

System: Portable Compaz Evo N800V ; Professional XP
1. I ran setup.exe from a temp file after downloading perl and default apps
from a cygwin site. Installation seemed to complete succesfully.
2. I manually copied cygwin1.dll from release\cygwin\usr\bin { Before this
manual copy I would just see a DOS window flash}
3. I launch Cygwin and get the prompt: "bash-2.05b$" .
4. At this point I notice a couple of things:
a. The bin file under Cygwin seems to have a whole bunch of .exe
files...grep,awk,
a. I see grep inside of my release , but if I type "grep" . I get a command
not found.
b. The perl tar file under the release folder seems to have alot of stuff
that I thought would get copied under the cygwin folder and does not.
Is my installation of cygwin correct? How can I launch Perl?
Thanks for any help,
-Ray