Re: cron on Win9x works

"Igor Pechtchanski" <pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu> wrote in message
news:Pine dot GSO dot 4 dot 44 dot 0304151022440 dot 26381-100000 at slinky dot cs dot nyu dot edu dot  dot  dot
> Reply inline below:
>
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, BB wrote:
>
> > "Luciano" <lucianoav at gmx dot net> wrote in message
> > news:Xns935AE4A876607lucianoavgmxnet at 80 dot 91 dot 224 dot 249 dot  dot  dot
> > > I read it again, but I am not sure I understand it. The hack proposed
> > > by BB him/herself
> >
> > him
> >
> > > rm -R -f /var/cron/tabs.sav
> > > cp -R /var/cron/tabs /var/cron/tabs.sav
> > > rm -R -f /var/cron/tabs
> > > mv /var/cron/tabs.sav /var/cron/tabs
>
> BTW, is there a particular reason why you can't do it in 3 steps:
>   rm -Rf /var/cron/tabs.sav
>   mv /var/cron/tabs /var/cron/tabs.sav
>   cp -R /var/cron/tabs.sav /var/cron/tabs
> ?
> Igor

I just wanted to keep the interval that tabs does not exist to a minimum
because cron
will exit if it doesn't find it.  I thought the rm and mv might be fast
operations compared
to the cp if there are a lot of tabs.  This might even be better so a copy
of tabs gets
saved as a backup.  Keep in mind that I'm running on slow Win95 machines.

rm -Rf /var/cron/tabs.tmp
rm -Rf /var/cron/tabs.bak
cp -R /var/cron/tabs /var/cron/tabs.tmp
mv /var/cron/tabs /var/cron/tabs.bak
mv /var/cron/tabs.tmp /var/cron/tabs

Regardless, I think cron should be modified instead of using this long term.

BB

> > cron compares the timestamp of it's 'old' database of tasks to the
timestamp
> > of the /var/corn/tabs directory.  Assuming the all 4 steps (rm, cp, rm,
mv)
> > worked, the newly created /var/cron/tabs should have a new timestamp.
Make