Re: H.T.M.L. (RE: Getting home directory in Windows 2000 environment)

news at garydjones dot mailshell dot com wrote:

Andrew DeFaria <ADeFaria at salira dot com> wrote:

news at garydjones dot mailshell dot com wrote:

It is the lingua franca of the worldwide web

Yes. Let it stay there.

Why?

For the reasons outlined by Hannu E K Nevalainen. Do try to keep up.

I have kept up - I just don't buy his reasoning. I can as easily say we should post in HTML for the reasons outlined by Randall Schultz but you don't buy that. Suffice to say that this is just a different of opinions and a personal preference. What gets me is when some attempt to force their personal preferences onto others.

Does that mean that we should all post in jpegs since we could then achieve exactly the same thing?

That's an unreasonable stretch from html -> jpeg.

Not at all. The presentation of binary images is "widely supported by GUI mail and news clients". You might have noted that this is a stupid argument.

Sorry, I took the statement (the "we should all post in jpegs) to mean that we should replace any text with a jpeg image of the text. After all there is no reason to post a jpeg except to show something visually that is just easier to show visually than to have to describe in words.

Personal communications must extend beyond simple text without stylistic variation for computers to fully facilitate human communication.

Post your proof.

Post your disproof!

He is the one that made the assertion. If he expects to be believed then he should be able to offer proof to back up his theory.

And Hannu has made his assertions too without any posted proof either. As for alternate forms of communication I've heard of studies that say that only about 8% of what is said in a conversation is actually listened to. The rest comes from other, non-verbal forms of communication. So then it's already been known and

People have been using plain text to communicate quite satisfactorily, thank you very much.

How many colors does your monitor do? People have communicated with black and white monitors quite satisfactory, thank you very much.

Indeed, I do not send my email in any other colours but black and white or whatever other colours you choose to render them in. The choice is yours. What was your point, or did you not have one?

My point was these "minimulists" who state that ASCII text is all that is needed should practice what they preach by using monitors in only black and white! Throughout human history people afraid of change usually tout something akin to "If it was good enough for my grandfather then it's good enough for me" and by implication here "good enough for you too".

Statements like the infamous "Who needs more than 640K of memory anyway!" are similar. If we draw an anology here then we should be striving to fit Cygwin into 640K because it can be said that that is the lowest common denominator too - there probably are those less fortunate out there that only have ASCII terminals running in DOS with 640K. Shouldn't we be polite and accomidate for the LCD?

However I think most hear would agree that that is ludicrous in that that sets the bar just way too low. Consequently Randall and I are saying that we think setting the bar at ASCII only is also too low. You disagree. Fine. We each have the right to our own opinions.

c) Attached images add an unnecessary burden on email downloads Burden? On whom?

On every single person that receives it. That much must be obvious, or are you being deliberately obtuse?

Another reason why this should be a newsgroup.... (Ducking for cover! :-)

http://news.gmane.org/

Being there, done that, bought the T shirt and program! In fact that is exactly the way I read and respond to this silly mail list (another ancient and IMHO, dying concept... Which is why I was ducking for cover because this sort of thinking seems to offend many others here for some reason).