Re: Binary patch tool?

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, John Williams wrote:

Hi folks,

Is there a binary equivalent to the diff/patch combination?  I've
written a little shell script to run "cmp -b" over a bunch of files (I'm
trying to generate binary patches), but now I'm struggling with a way to
actually apply those changes.

I started writing a little tcl script to do it but think there must be a
better way?

Thanks,
John

Umm, "vim -b"?  vim *can* be used as a stream editor...
	Igor

Ah yes excellent! Even better, now I don't need to create a patch file. In a single line I can hack Xilinx's Xygwin tools over to Cygwin.

I'm doing the following

for f in $( find edk -name '*.exe' -o -name '*.dll' ) do
  vim -b -s xyg2cyg.sed $f
done

where xyg2cyg.sed contains
:%s/xygwin1.dll/cygwin1.dll/g
:wq

Is there a way I can pass these on the command line, without needing a seperate little script file like this?

Thanks,

John