Re: Big Brother is Real

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> Tim Prince wrote:
>
> > Lack of cygwin support has impeded the market penetration of Windows
> > XP64, but it seems Microsoft would rather lose out to linux and HPUX
> > than let their customers run cygwin. It may be they don't understand
> > how many customers depend on cygwin, which is their fault too, since
> > they don't support those customers, just collect the fees and forget them.
>
> How exactly does Microsoft stop their customers from running Cygwin? I'm
> curious because as you even admit "many customers depend on cygwin" so
> it is demonstrable that Microsoft has no power to stop their customers
> from running Cygwin.

Microsoft doesn't "stop their customers from running Cygwin", it
introduces API changes that are incompatible with previous versions, and
thus cause programs like Cygwin to not run.  Whether this is deliberate or
accidental remains debatable.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately
explained by stupidity.