Re: vim quits and cygwin window contents not restored

Randall R Schulz wrote:

Since there were no attachments, I placed the text embedded in the message into a file named "cygwin.terminfo" and used "tic" as you prescribed. I get a diagnostic "Name collision between cygwin cygwin". I tried removing the existing terminfo entry, but the result is unchanged.

Igor is correct. There were two attachments, but the web archive inlined them. If you go to gmane, you'll see the attachments in their original form.

But that shouldn't matter too much. The first attachment (or part) is the terminfo input -- the commentblock all the way down to the last "dense" block of 20 or so lines. That "dense" block is the termcap entry. You don't want to 'tic' that; it was generated from the longer file using 'tic -C' -- but any codes that termcap doesn't understand are dropped. So converting it BACK to terminfo format is a lossy conversion.

Again, you want the first group. But, if you're cut-n-pasting, you need to insure that each line begins with a tab, not 8 spaces (sometimes tic can be picky about that).

You can also hand edit /etc/termcap (back it up, first) and paste the attached cygwin.termcap file into it, deleting the current definition.

Then I saw this, so I figured that there are two text attachments that got merged into a blob of in-line text, so I took the last 20 lines beginning with "cygwin|ansi emulation for Cygwin:\" and gave them to tic, and it seems to work (tic likes it and the results reinstate screen context save and restore).

Yes, but your terminfo database entry is probably missing a few codes. Who knows if they are important...

Could you clarify what's up here? Am I the only one who didn't see attachments?

I dunno; they looked fine to me....

--chuck