Why don't cygwin apps exit when I shutdown Windows>

This is probably a stupid question but I cannot find an answer in the FAQ.
When I exit Windows using either "turn off computer" or "log off", the
windows where I am running cygwin bash does not exit. Instead a dialog
box with the title "End program - <whatever>" and with the options "End Now"
or "Cancel" is displayed, blocking the shutdown/log-off.

What configuration am I missing ?

Thanks
CPH