Re: GPL violations et al

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 02:02:36PM -0500, Dawson, David W wrote:
>Question (this will lead to my real question, later):
>
>Are the "mirrors" also responsible for providing source for all packages
>downloadable by the Cygwin setup.exe?
>Most Cygwin packages offer a "Src" tarball available for download along with
>the "Bin" package, but there are numerous (significant) exceptions.

No, there are not numerous exceptions.  There are some exceptions in the
XFree86 arena but everything else should have both source and binary.

I you have identified a package which lacks source you should be telling
us what it is rather than assuming that everything is correct.

>This is the real concern for me: while I will willingly provide source
>for all parts of Cygwin I distribute, I'm not sure were/how to get the
>*correct version* of the source for the binaries I downloaded via
>setup.exe.

Download the source from the same place you downloaded the binary.

>Advice?
>
>Is it acceptable for setup.exe to allow download of binaries for which the
>correct source is not available *from the same source* ?

If this is really happening the mirror is screwed up.  They aren't much
of a mirror if they don't have both source and binary.

cgf