RE: Cygwin + Oracle (Pro*C)

In http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/1997-09/msg00085.html Chris got a pro*c
program to work. I will send him email. As halflife for IT jobs is right
now, the chances to find him/her at the company email address is doubtful
since the email is from last millennium (1997). Sadly s/he was not very
specific.
?
I found all the lib's and I guess the linker works 'the usual way'. As soon
as the first entry in the library path has been found it will be included in
the obj. and the search for this one module is considered done!?! Or is the
linker a multipass one who would warn me that there are more than modules
with the same name in different libs? In this case the order would be vital,
deciding over life or dead of the program.
?
It's been a couple of days, when I did VS6. I think to recall that you can
either fully qualify the dll you want to access or the dynamic loader checks
along the search path. What I don't know (but logic suggests the following )
is what happened if I call a dll function which already exists in one LOADED
dll. I guess, if it's not fully qualified the dynloader won't even bother
(performance) to look for other locations along the path if it finds the
entry in one of the already loaded dll's.
?
What happens if one entry exists in two dll's, both loaded is far over my
head. Does the dynloader check within the dlls in the (temporal) order in
which they have been loaded fifo like or uses a chain and looks backward
(assuming that the last loaded dll is the most likely candidate) = lifo
wise. Or does the OS/loader generate a hash table and the results are
unpredictable (I doubt that, because it would in this case detect that there
are same name/different source entries). Dll's advantage over libs is that
they are loaded once in a global memory/address space and can be accessed
from any program/thread on the system. Woahh! That complicates things a bit,
doesn't it? Generation conflicts should be the norm, not the exception. And
since MS's own code is generally not backwards compatible to itself there
must be a conflict resolution mechanism (which until win2k solved the
conflict into the famous blue screen :( ).
?
So, I love peer input!!!!!
????? Does my above rambling make sense to you?
????? Could it be that if I put the cygwin dll's last in the path, the
msvcrt* would kick in first?
????? Would this also mean that the system itself gets totally unpredictable
since cygwin wants its own implementation but gets spoon-fed with the M$
one?
????? What order should I use for the static libs?
?
----------
?
Last not least, it's time to put an end to the 'charset' discussion about my
first HTML email I sent. You purists should be quiet. Using smaller and
smaller charsets is oldfashioned. We live in the third millenium. The good
ol' times are over where you shaved the head of your slaves, tatooed the
message on their head, let the hair grow back and sent them their merry way
to transport secret messages. IPSEC is the answer. Incompatible Standards
another (instant messaging into Nirwana e.g.). Since the Net (without dot)
is the modern way of informations transport and everybody knows that, there
is a lot of traffic going on. All the spam that needs to be delivered, the
'get rich from your living room', the 'lonely housewives' and 'watch
Pay-Per-View for free while you get rich from your living room while you
meet the lonely housewives' ads. That takes bandwidth. Sure you could limit
the characters so that we use only 7 bits per byte and günter becomes
guenter, semicolon becomes ',.' a.s.o. and you could save all the bits and
live off the interest, but it's the wrong approach:
?
You ever heard of 'a picture says more than 1000 words'?
Ever programmed in APL?
My solution is as simple as elegant: Let's use pictographs like the
Egyptians did 5k years ago or more currently the Chinese do. Each Symbol is
one word!!!
?
Another advantage: The average page contains only 5 percent dark dots. And
95% white ones. What a waste of white dots! If you use a compact
characterset as chinese AND colorize the characters changing their meaning
(let's say with 65535 different colors) you can probably put this whole
message in 12 or 13 characters! Those compact characters have less white
dots, would be more efficient. Right? Now that is progress!!! Don't look
backwards! Btw. That would also rid the market from all those wasteful COBOL
programmers ('ADD this TO that GIVING itall.') who would not survive the new
compactness. We could send 1000 times more 'stuff envelopes' emails and
Carnivore would work more efficient too. Looking for the 'red bomb'
character or the 'black plague' symbol, etc.
?
The singer 'Prince' started the revolution already with his own name as a
pictograph. Let's finish it!
?
Got my point?
?