Re: SOLVED: Re: SHELL on W2K (gmake 3.79.1) is cmd.exe not /bin/sh

Max Bowsher wrote:
Mark Ovens wrote:
Max Bowsher wrote:
Get him to run "ls -l /bin/sh" and also "id" and send the output
here.

/bin/sh.exe had no perms set (and neither did anything else in /bin)

I did a ''chmod 000 /bin/sh.exe'' on my system and got the same
problem.

I had checked with him early on that sh was executable, but by running
it from the command line, and it worked. Just to test this I tried
myself:

marder-1:~{32}$ ls -l /bin/sh.exe
-rwx------+   1 marko    None        69632 Jul 31  2002 /bin/sh.exe
marder-1:~{33}$ chmod 000 /bin/sh.exe
marder-1:~{34}$ ls -l /bin/sh.exe
----------+   1 marko    None        69632 Jul 31  2002 /bin/sh.exe
marder-1:~{35}$ /bin/sh
\h:\w{\#}$ exit
marder-1:~{36}$

That shouldn't work, surely? Without the execute bit set it should
throw a "Command not found" or similar.

This weirdness arises due to the difficulties in mapping ACLs to Unix permission bits. (Actually, the very latest, just released, not yet on all the mirrors, version 1.3.21 of cygwin has an improvement relating to this.)

Thanks for the explanation, that's useful to know. In future I'll check the perms rather than just try running from the command line when testing for executableness.

Regards,

Parish

Max.