Re: profilers for cygwin

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 23:19, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
> > A quick question, is there a profiler available on cygwin ?
> > Even a primitive one will do. Please cc: me on the reply since
> > i'm not on the list. I've looked this up through google but
> > to no avail...
>
> If you have binutils installed, then the answer is yes :-) If not install
> the binutils package via setup.exe and your ready to go.
>
> The profiler is called gprof, but before you are able to use it you'll need
> to make sure that the binaries that you want to profile support the
> profileing mechanism. When you compile a binary just specify yhe `-pg'
> option to g{cc,++,77} (in addition to the options you normally use to
> compile) and this will amke sure that you new compiled binary contains the
> needed data.
In order to use -pg with g77 in cygwin, you must supply your own -pg built
copy of at least main() from libf2c, but preferably the entire libg2c.
Switching in -pg library support for g77 isn't automatic in cygwin, as it is
in glibc.  Even so, availability of -pg is a tremendous advantage in the
Windows world.

--
Tim Prince