RE: cygwin archive? (previous versions for fallback

At 06:07 2003/03/11, günter strubinsky wrote:
I can't access the site by typing the URI
(ftp://ftp.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp14/ftp-mirror/programming/cygwin/pub/cygwin/releas
e) into the installer. It timed out. I downloaded the whole tree.

That won't install either. The installer throws a fit (aka. an address
exception) after showing strange chars in the install tree root and only a
few leaves.

Okay, so I installed the latest and greatest complete cygwin WITHOUT
Postgres, installed the ipc-daemon (I can't get the one I had, so it's 1.13.
I installed, got the usual (at least on my machine) mode 0000 for all
binaries (?). Chmod'ed them to 2777 (I know that's unsecure).
--install-as-service'd the ipc-daemon and verified that it ran.

Started the installer from the cygwin site and thanks to the advise from
Christopher (PolleyChristopherW at JohnDeere dot com , thank you very much!)
installed from the copy of the tree ftp'ed from the site the Postgres (V
7.1.3).

When I pg_start'ed Postgres it took 99% cpu; the usual sign that it does not
find the ipc-daemon. I verified that the daemon ran. (It did). Chris send me
a copy of 7.2.3 (identical to the version I had before). I installed from
this version after completely uninstalling and physically removing the
cygwin directory tree:
        Same result.

Lastly I reinstalled with the latest version of postgres and voila, it ran
like a pink rabbit. Uninstalling Postgres and installing any of the two
prior versions resultet in 99% cpu from Postgres.

My conclusion is that the ipc-daemon is the culprit and not backwards
compatible to Postgres < 7.3, which does not make a whole lot of sense.

There is NO version 1.10 of cygipc aka. ipc-daemon on
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygipc/ available for
download.

Does anybody out there have either V1.10 of cygipc or a glue what is going
so wrong with my install?

I don't think that is your problem as I successfully ran postgres 7.2.3 with cygipc 1.13 for several weeks before inadvertently upgrading to 7.3.2 like Gunter.

Jim Moreland