Re: why is bash trying to access my DNS?

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:53:47 -0500, "Pierre A. Humblet" said:
> Can you configure ZoneAlarm to allow Dns access?
> The paradox is that these calls may not go out your box. I can get my
> hostname while my Ethernet is disconnected. Can you?

I have not determined how to configure ZoneAlarm to let ALL programs use
DNS but nothing else.  I will look into that  some more though.

And yes, everything works fine if I deny the DNS access, so it isn't
really needed, I just  can't wait for a program to ask before telling
ZoneAlarm whether it is okay or not.
I am becoming more suspecting that something in my winsock configuration
changed though, unless all applications changed to using gethostname
within the last 2 months (and it may have been less than that).  Also, as
I said ipconfig asks for DNS access, something it  never used to do, and
that isn't a cygwin program.

I just can't figure out what installing sshd (or whatever I did while
installinng sshd) made everything get hosed.

Thanks,
Geoff
--
  Geoffrey Hausheer