Re: error 22 when I use gawk on cygwin Xfree 4.2

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:49:03AM +0100, DEMOTTIE Christophe DvSI/SIReS/GRE wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm written a program with gawk on Cygwin on Windows 2000 computer.
> And I recently have an error :
> 	./myProgram.sh: gawk: error 22
>
> After a long search, I found why gawk doesn't work. I have too many
> characters or line in my gawk program.
>
> my gawk program has 702 lines. With 30511 characters, it works. With
> 30512 characters, it produces this error 22.

Details?  Is the awk script inside of a shell script?  Which shell?
sh or bash?

If the awk script is inside the shell script, please rip it out
into it's own file and change the shell script accordingly.  Note
that different systems and different shells have different maximum
line lengthes.  Writing too long input lines is non-portable.

> I'm trying my program on HP computer with HPUX, and there isn't any problem.

That's fine for HPUX.

> I work with Cygwin 4.2. The gawk programm have this characteristic :
                     ^^^
		     This is the XFree version, not the Cygwin version.

> 	$ uname -a
> 	CYGWIN_NT-5.0 myComputer 1.3.12(0.54/3/2) 2002-07-06 02:16 i686 unknown
                                 ^^^^^^
				 That's the Cygwin version.

You considered updating to the current version?

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin at cygwin dot com
Red Hat, Inc.