RE: GPL Violation

<news at garydjones dot mailshell dot com> wrote:
> > Please provide the Cygwin source that corresponds to the
> > version of cygwin1.dll on the above web page at your
> > earliest convenience.
>
> Not necessarily. See section 3 of the GPL (version 2) where other
> alternatives are listed.

Good point. You are not required to provide web hosting
services for GPL'd software. You only need to provide
source code when asked. You can even charge to cover
your distribution costs.

Of course, you'd better be prepared to provide the
exact sources used to build the DLL in case anyone
ever calls you on it. It would be better to link to
the Cygwin home page instead, though I'll acknowledge
that not everyone would be willing to install Cygwin
(versus simply copying another DLL). I suppose you
could point to another site that maintained both the
source and .DLL together.

-Jerry