Re: mkpasswd: [5] Access is denied.

I am running as a domain user that had administator privileges on my computer. I don't have access to an account that is a domain adminstrator.

- Peter Canning

At 03:52 PM 2/14/2003, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
> The strace output I provided was for a command that failed.  I just forgot
> to mention that running
>      strace --output=mkpasswd.strace.txt mkpasswd -u canning -d
> produces the following message:
>       mkpasswd: [5] Access is denied
> as well as producing the strace output in the file that I attached to my

From the above ^^^^^^^^^^^^ (mkpasswd -d) I thought you meant it was that
exact command that was failing and not `mkpasswd -u canning -d', which from
the output below it would look that way as it was printing more than just
your user information.

> > > I get the following output
> > >      SYSTEM:*:18:544:,S-1-5-18::
> > >      Administrators:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::
> > >      mkpasswd: [5] Access is denied.
> > >
> > > I suspect this is caused by some problem with the configuration of the
> > > domain controller, but I don't know enough about domain controllers to
> > > guess any more than that.
> > > The problem is preventing me from using sash to log in remotely to my
> >machine.
> > >
> > > I've attached the output of running
> > >      strace --output=mkpasswd.strace.txt mkpasswd -u canning -d
> > > to this message.  I have been unable to interpret this output enough
> > > figure out what is causing the problem.  If anyone can figure out what
is
> > > causing the problem, and suggest what might be done to fix it, I would
be
> > > grateful.
> >

> >Can you provide strace output from when you are running `mkpasswd -d'? As
> >what you provided was for a command that worked (?).

What user are you running mkpasswd as? If not Administrator, can you run it
as Administrator?

Regards,

Elfyn McBratney
elfyn at exposure dot org dot uk