Re: Duplicate CygWin

Max Bowsher wrote:
Ben Clewett wrote:

For my working, I would need a fully detached CygWin.  It's own
memory, it's own DLL, and not a dependence on an existing
installation.

This is because I will be using Install Sheild to load and run an
entire application, which is compiled under CygWin, onto a foreign
machine, which may be of any setup including an old, badly setup,
hached and conflicting CygWin...  Also then the 'Add/Remove Software'
can rid the foreign OS of my stuff, without deleting the CygWin which
is being used by my poor customer.

I do not need this for about six months, so will give me plenty of
time to have a good hack and get to know CygWin a lot better....

Make sure you aware of licensing issues before you start bundling the Cygwin
DLL with something.

On the technical side, I have been able to prepare an isolated Cygwin - I
now have a mygwin1.dll and a simple "Hello World!" exe that uses it, and
which does not clash with running cygwin.

I would like to point out that there was one stumbling block in addition to
DLL name and shared memory ID. It is only an issue if you want to run a
mygwin exe from a cygwin one. It is the child_info struct that it passed
between cygwin processes. Currently, you get version clash here, requiring
some hacking to enforce isolation here too.

OK Max.  Are you prepared for the onslaught of the "can I have this?" and
"where can I get this?" questions now? ;-)