RE:size limit for static arrays in cygwin/gcc

Randall R Schulz <rrschulz at cris dot com>  wrote:

> A couple of months ago, someone reported on how local (stack)
> allocations larger than a certain threshold were allocated on the heap.
> In fact, you, Danny, contributed materially to that thread: Subject
> "Strange behaviour of gcc" starting with a posting by
> fabrizio_ge-wolit@tiscali.it on Dec. 24, 2002.

No that's not quite right:

Stack allocations larger than one page (4KB) cause gcc to probe the stack.
The allocation is still static

I think, also, the stack probe is automatically called in main, to force
alignment of stack to a page boundary.

Be aware, there is a bug in GCC-3.2 with respect to _alloca and optimization
(particulary-fomit-frame-pointer), reported on this list by someone called Fish
and  on GCC lists.  It is fixed (at least in part) in 3.3 and higher.

> In that case Fabrizio
> wanted to avoid the dependence that heap allocation created on the
> runtime or C library. That was C/C++ code and I don't know where this
> allocation strategy is implemented--i.e., whether it's in a
> language-specific front-end or a language-independent back-end of GCC
> (and here we should emphasise the official name: the GNU Compiler
> Collection, not the GNU C Compiler as many believe it to mean)

The stack probe default is target-specific, language-independent.

Danny

- Exchange IMs with Messenger friends on your Telstra or Vodafone mobile phone.