Re: Why the rash of people bypassing setup.exe to install?

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 05:05:35PM +0100, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:
>>On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 05:31:05PM -0500, Rolf Campbell wrote:
>>>Well, I maintain an internal mirror for my company, and I use a custom
>>>python script to parse our custom setup.ini and fetch the needed
>>packages.
>>>But, I never used sources.redhat.com.
>>
>>So, translation: "I have no insight into the problem but I thought I'd
>>send email anyway."
>
>Sorry Christopher, but did you really READ what he said: AFAICT it is
>something like: I've got LOADS OF COMPUTERS(or some such) that I wish
>to have fully updated CYGWIN installations on; this is what I've
>decided to do as I feel it is sane.
>
>Take a bunch of the above, running setup.exe on their own, and all of
>the mirrors will have a huge network load when a number of updates
>appear.

I was asking why there was recently a number of people installing
without setup and then complaining when things don't work.  I could care
less if someone has a system that is working smoothly for them which
bypasses setup.exe.  I don't CARE if experienced users have something
which works for them.  That very obviously have nothing to do with what
I was talking about.  Go back and read my original question rather than
jumping into the middle of a discussion.

>Here comes more of "I have no insight" to rant on; just shoot (I wouldn't be
>too surprised as I haven't read much of the FAQ's and README's):

Ok.  I stopped reading here.  Anyone who actually admits to not reading
documentation and clearly can't even comprehend the whole purpose of the
question deserves no further consideration.

cgf