Re: [Problem] mempcpy is missing? (FAQ alert)

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 09:19:05PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Yes, in an ideal world, configure would deal with this - but unless
>> you have a better idea, the only way I can think of dealing with it
>> is to copy the problem header to the compilation directory, parse
>> out the problem declaration somehow, and modify the compiler
>> invocations with an additional -I option.  Messy and fragile.
>
> Wow, are you related to Rube Goldberg?
>
> #define mempcpy foo_mempcpy
> #include <string.h>
> #undef mempcpy

Ok, I feel stupid :-)

>> So, when fixing the problem is orders of magnitude easier than
>> making a workaround, it's easy to see which will happen! :-)
>
> This is *not* a workaround.  This is making configury work for what
> it was designed to do.

One could say that configury is a workaround :-)
You are, of course, correct that this is one more class of weirdness that
configury could be enhanced to deal with.
I was just commenting that I didn't think it was particulary likely to
happen.

> In this case, the whole point of configuration scripts is to work
> around OS build environment differences.  "In an ideal world" is
> exactly what configure is not supposed to assume.

I agree. What I meant was: In an ideal world someone would make the relevant
improvements to configury.

> Of course we're going to fix cygwin.  I just checked in a fix.

Great!

> I assume this will probably be the end of it since no one will go to
> the effort of trying to fix libintl's configury

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. Seems I didn't convey my point very
well.

Max.