Re: Why the rash of people bypassing setup.exe to install?

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 10:00:51AM -0800, Rick Rankin wrote:

>--- Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

>> > I like it.  Apparently it is extremely confusing to many people that
>> running
>> > "setup.exe" again is how you update your system, Microsoft conventions not
>> > withstanding.
>>
>> So... hey, why is it called "setup"?  Isn't it, in the first place the
>> "Cygwin Package Manager"?  "cpm"?  Even the suffix of the archive files
>> could be cpm...
>>
>Ahh, CP/M -- now *those* were the days... ;-)
>
>Anyway, I like the idea of calling it something akin to "package
>manager".  The name "setup" seems to imply a one-time action.
>Although, if the name were changed to, say, "Cygwin Package Manager" as
>suggested, there might have to be some additional verbage to explain to
>first-time users that you use the package manager to do both the
>initial install *and* subsequent updates.

We, IMO, are straying from the original question.  The issue of what
setup.exe is named really is irrelevant, IMO.  I sincerely doubt that
its name is responsible for people making the decision to download
packages by hand.  If names were important then no one would be using
cygwin at all.

"cyg" "win"?  What does that have to do with UNIX emulation for Windows?
I guess I won't use it because the name makes no sense.

cgf