Re: multi-user file permission problems

Brian Ford wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Max Bowsher wrote:
>
>> Brian Ford wrote:
>>> Why are shells and such confused by this, though?
>>
>> Well, that scan PATH, looking for executables.... and if file they
>> see isn't executable, they ignore it.
>>
> Isn't that a bug if they don't use the ACL's for OS's that have 'em?

Lack-of-feature is perhaps a better way to put it.
And in the shells, not in Cygwin, in any case.

ACLs aren't exactly common, or particularly standardized. I believe Cygwin
tries to emulate Solaris. On Linux, ACLs require a non-standard kernel
patch.

Therefore, unrealistic to expect much support for ACLs outside specific
ACL-handling tools.

Max.