Re: Re: apache 1.3.27 binary install problems

Jason,

I finally got a chance to upgrade to the 1.3.19-1 cygwin1.dll and the mmap error has disappeared! Apache 1.3.24-5 is working fine along with PHP 4.2.0 on WinXP Home SP-1. Cygwin is pretty impressive - I've showed it to people at work and they can't believe it. Great job guys.

--George

If it matters, I think the error seemed to happen shortly after starting up apache and periodically even if I didn't hit apache with any requests so I don't think I could've come up with a specific test case.

I've sucessfully used the build of apache (1.3.24) that came with
Cygwin on Windows 2000 (SP-2) but I've struggled getting it to work on
Windows XP (SP-1) using the same install files.  I've read previous
posts about the rebasing issue and they have helped get me past that
error, but I still get this error quite often:

$ C:\cygwin\usr\sbin\httpd.exe: *** recreate_mmaps_after_fork_failed

<WAG>
Try the latest snapshot.  There was a recent change to mmap that *may*
fix your problem.
</WAG>

Any ideas?

If the above does not work, then strace httpd to get the exact Win32
error that corresponds to the above error.

If you can post a small test case that reproduces this error, then the
chances of the problem getting fixed is good.

Jason
Now when I try to start again I get:
#2) Syntax error on line 241 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot add module via name 'mod_vhost_alias.dll': not in list of loaded modules
I compared 1.3.24-5's httpd.conf file to 1.3.27's and the former has the syntax:

AddModule mod_vhost_alias.c

while the later uses ".dll" instead of ".c" so I changed ".dll" to ".c" in that section of httpd.conf. Is that correct? I think it resolved that problem because
I move on to another error when trying to start apache:

#3) httpd: bad user name nobody

In httpd.conf on lines 318 and 319:
User nobody
Group #-1
Those lines weren't commented out but they are in 1.3.24 so I commented them out and httpd starts but with
the rebase error I experienced with 1.3.24:
$ C:\cygwin\usr\local\apache\bin\httpd.exe: *** unable to remap C:\cygwin\usr\lo
cal\apache\libexec\mod_speling.dll to same address as parent -- 0x1270000