Re: Setup 2.249.2.5, Package 'grep' 2.5-1, missing 'egrep.exe' and 'fgrep.exe'

> I'm on an XP system and I downloaded replacement packages yesterday and
> ensured that I included the "grep" package.
>
> I went to use "egrep.exe" and found it wasn't installed.  I did find an
> egrep.1 but it just points to grep.

The file you are loking for, egrep.exe is no longer in the packge. Instead
there is a symbolic link from egrep to grep, which AFAIK uses the same "if
your name is sh, behave like sh" semantics, but don't quote me on this as
I'm not too sure ;-)

> I reviewed my installation and found "Keep" for grep package 2.5-1
> (indicating to me the package has been installed), and see egrep listed in
> the package description.  I also see fgrep listed, though I'm not
> interested in using it.
>
> Neither egrep.exe nor fgrep.exe exist in my bin/ directory, as I would
have
> expected.  Did this fall through the cracks?

Again these are jyst syms to the main binary:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Nov 27 20:04 /bin/egrep -> grep
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Nov 27 20:04 /bin/fgrep -> grep

> In the short term I can copy grep.exe to egrep.exe because my existing
> batch files rely on it by name, so I just thought I'd report this in case
> either:
>
>   (1) the files get added or
>
>   (2) the package description removes references to the files not
included.

You might consider instead editing your scripts to make hem more
cross-compatible...Just a thought.

Regards,

Elfyn McBratney
elfyn@exposure.org.uk