RE: ssh x forwarding

Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:
----------------->>>>
Make an ssh connection to the remote machine with the -X option. Echo
$DISPLAY and if you don't see something like "localhost:10.0" then
the ssh daemon is not configured for tunneling X.

The ssh daemon allocates local virtual displays 10 and upper for X
tunneling.

I didn't have to set the display option in any of my ssh (RH Linux, SuSE
Linux, and CygWin) implementations.  The x system  seems to take care of it.
However in CygWin x forwarding is not on by default so you have to use the
command line -X option to forward.  I think cygwin XFree86 actually sets
this to DISPLAY=:0.0 (RH XF86 sets it to DISPLAY=:0) which then along with
the -X allows forwarding.  If DISPLAY isn't set by x (or you set it to "" to
test in my case) then ssh (?) defaults to localhost:10.0 which in my case
fails.

So it seems the XFree86 does it right.