Suppress newline under cygwin bash

Howdy all!

I have noticed that the two ways I have read about to suppress newline
characters in the echo command do not seem to be working. Here is what I
have tried:

$ echo "hi there\c"
hi there\c

$ echo "...using -n."
...using -n.

$

Quoted or unquoted, the result is the same. I tried doing a google search
(and cygwin archive search) for "echo suppress newline" but did not find
anything related to cygwin.

BTW.. my purpose?

Andrew DeFaria gave me a suggestion for creating a shorter way to use drag
and dropping of path names into Cygwin. Type:
  $ cd ""
  Then type control-B to backup one space
  (between the two "") then drag
  and drop.

Well, that is still too much typing! So I want to create an alias that will
show the cd "" and leave the cursor on the same line..

Any help would be much appreciated!

Rob
:)
:->