Re: idea for a new project, libntcmd

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 03:09:43PM -0800, Rafael Kitover wrote:
>>Really?  Or would it simply delay them learning the knowledge to
>>function in an environment that does not make specific allowances for
>>them?
>
>Well, the goal would be for new cygwin users, who often have little
>knowledge of UNIX, to have more space to get comfortable in learning
>the environment.

I would challenge the assertion that new cygwin users often have little
knowledge of UNIX.  Vocal people on this mailing list do make this
assertion from time to time but there is no hard data to support that
claim.

In absence of hard data, I am (perhaps naively) sticking with the
assumption that the core goal for the project of providing UNIX
emulation for Windows for people who want UNIX tools, is still valid.

I guess it's remotely possible that someone would want UNIX tools
because they're interested in UNIX but don't know anything about it.  If
that is the case, then (as I think has already been mentioned) offering
them Windows commands or, especially, paths doesn't sound like it would
be doing them any favors.

cgf