Re: Cygwin Release process

William,

At 13:39 2003-01-23, William A. Hoffman wrote:
Is there any way to control the versions of programs you get from setup.exe?
The cygwin environment is different on almost every machine at our company.
It all depends on when you ran the setup program.    I have two suggestions:
The Cygwin Setup.exe installer offers you the current release-level version, the previous version (if any) and, sometimes, a forward-looking "experimental" version.

1. It would be nice, if there was a cygwin-stable that had a list of stable
packages that you could download.   This would be updated two to three times a
year, with testing.   I belive Debian does something like this.
The software comprising Cygwin moves much too fast to have releases only a "few times" each year. The "current" release is always deemed stable by the authors and / or maintainers. It usually is (stable, i.e.).

2. Failing that, it would be nice if the setup program had a button that
set all the values to Keep.   The problem is that if I want a new package X,
I have to click 20 other packages to Keep, or risk an update of everything.
There should be a way to update one single package.   Is there a way?
Setup.exe only offers to update packages that are already installed. It does always initialize the package selection display to the latest release-quality version. I happen to think that's a good idea even though at the moment I'm repeatedly rolling the Cygwin package back to 1.3.17 and the Perl ahead to 5.8.0 (both "Keep" for my current installation).

Your request sounds familiar and it or something like it probably has already been suggested. I'm sure that if you'd like to contribute the patches necessary to realize that feature, it would be considered seriously for incorporation into the mainstream source base.

-Bill

Randall Schulz