cygwin conflicting with seti@home on win2000

Hello,

Two days ago I installed the latest version of cygwin.

I've been happily using previous versions for a long time. Now I noticed
that bash pauses for about 15-20 seconds before showing the prompt.

I removed any vestiges of the previous installation, fearing that this
could be the problem and reinstalled the latest again. The problem
persisted.

I investigated to the best extent possible previous posts on this
mailing list regarding similar problems.

I modified cygwin.bat to include --verbose for me to observe what is
bash's exact start sequence. I noticed that it poses on executing "id"
and doing "grep" for X11 path.

Once started, all bash commands "ls", "cd", etc. work flawlessly.

I did a small test "echo test | cat". This was pausing for about 10 seconds.

 From some of the previous posts in the mailing list I saw that this can
be network related. I run a network traffic monitor just to see that no
network activity is taking place upon bash start or the execution of
 small test above.

Another problem I investigated, not very exhaustively, I removed my
current user from the administrators group, fearing that it can be some
security misalignment with the new installation. This change did not
remove the pause.

Runned "strace echo test | cat", but because of the redirection I can
not see where exactly the pause occurres, I receive the entire dump at
the end of the test.

Decided to just stop seti@home which is running on the machine.
Everything run flowlessy. Repeated running bash with and withough
seti@home, it confirmed my obvesrvation.

What can be the problem?

-petar