Re: Bug in rm -r with locked files

At 04:39 PM 1/21/2003, Shankar Unni wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>>It's not a completely intractable problem.  I think that someone (Chris
>>January?) provided a workaround at one point.  "cygserver" could also
>>provide a possible solution someday.
>
>Right. I went back and re-read those archives. Interesting problem.
>
>Now why was it important to do this "delayed remove" semantics? I.e. what (as alluded to by Robert Collins) would be broken if unlink simply returned EPERM or something like that if the file was busy? I didn't see any reference to that in the message threads.

Forgive me.  I didn't take the time to review the email archives for all
the threads on this but if I recall correctly, the current behavior is
meant to combat the "my script/program deletes the file/directory then
tries to recreate it - why isn't the file/directory deleted when unlink()
returns?" issue.