Re: Bug in rm -r with locked files

Larry,

Typo alert. It's <http://www.sysinternals.com/>.

Lots of good information and utilities there!

Randall Schulz

At 08:35 2003-01-21, lhall@pop.ma.ultranet.com wrote:
You may find the 'handle' utility from www.sysinternal.com a handy (no pun intended :-) ) tool for determining which files are opened by which processes. This might help you track down what's locking files on you.

In terms of the 'vim' issue, it piqued my interest enough that I did some investigation. Running Cygwin 1.3.17-1, 1.3.18-1, and today's snapshot all reproduced the hang for me. So I took a simple step and ran strace on the 'rm' process. It showed an error code of 5 (Access is denied.) for 'C:\tmp\foo\.bar.swp'. Conclusion: the problem I see here has to do with 'vim' locking the recovery file. Adding '-n' to the flags for 'vim' removed the hang. Corinna, any chance you have your recovery file directories set to something that doesn't include '.'? If that explains the difference in behavior we're seeing, then I think we'll have solved one mystery and at least have a workaround to the problem.

Larry