editing automount points via registry question

i think there was an error when i saw key /usr/bin
with the registry value of <mycygwin>/bin, i guess i
decided to post this here to mention about the
automounting feature i don't see quite oftenly talked
about...editing the registry is repelling since you'll
have to search for two spots for cygwin-> (find
'cygwin' using this text string works good...)
- one for root section, the other for X11 font paths,
- I'm not sure if there's another way to tell cygwin
where the root path is, anyone? (CYGWIN_ROOT ?)
- Does cygwin always need at least these two points in
the registry?

- Also i noticed that issuing 'mount' after using my
custom registry values for cygwin paths, tells me that
any relative symbolinks or relative paths of the same
pathnames that are on fat or ntfs records are
irrelevant, the registry settings would override them,
more appropriate 'mount' typed in cygwin after the
registry settings would show that they're mounted
automatically and I assume that the 'mount' features
of cygwin ovverides them. a silly question, but is
this safe, or should i resort more closely with cygwin
scripts using mount..?

jagg