Re: COM port setup

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 12:54:24PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Paul Munden wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm hoping you could help me. I'm using CYGWIN to run some SMS tools and
>> the tools config files need setting up to add the details of which com port
>> I'm using. Basically I just need to know how I would go about creating the
>> com4 object in /dev so that it does actually point at the com port as when
>> installed, CYGWIN came with no /dev or any example of how I would setup the
>> com object.
>>
>> Any help appreciated
>> Paul.
>
>Paul,
>
>/dev is a virtual directory on Cygwin, just like /proc or /cygdrive.  You
>should still be able to access /dev/com4.  You can create a real /dev
>directory, but I don't think you can actually get a list of the devices
>there using "ls" (not yet, at least.  Perhaps when Christopher Faylor's
>mknod code comes out).  You can "ls" any individual device, though...

mknod will allow you to create device files but it doesn't handle /dev.
When my mount changes come out, you'll be able to mount /dev anywhere
and then Chris January's /dev handler will be possible.

So maybe in six months or so, we'll have a real /dev directory possible
either as a 'devfs' type directory or as a more traditional standard
directory with a lot of 'device files' in it.

I hope to have mknod and mkfifo in 1.3.20.

cgf
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sources.redhat.com