Re: cygrunsrv and apache - success

Thanks for the tip. That fixed it for me. For posterity, here is everything that I did:

1. Create a new local user named apache. I put it in the Users group. Add it to /etc/passwd using a command like:

> mkpasswd -l | grep apache >>/etc/passwd

The apache user was assigened to the existing None group so I left it like that.

2. Modify /etc/apache/httpd.conf to set:
User apache
Group None

3. Run:
> chown SYSTEM:SYSTEM /var/log/apache/*
> chown SYSTEM:SYSTEM /var/log/apache.log

Check that /var/log/apache/ and /var/run are writable by SYSTEM.

4. Run:
> cygrunsrv -I apache -d "Cygwin apache" -p /usr/sbin/httpd -a '-k' -e "CYGWIN=ntsec nosmbntsec binmode tty"
> cygrunsrv -S apache

No errors were reported.

5. Check the Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Services app (I'm on Win2k) to see if Cygwin apache is running.

6. Check if

> net stop apache
> net start apache

work.

7. Point your browser at your machine and see if you get the Apache default page.

Well that's all I remember doing anyway. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

So far it looks like everything is working. Thanks everyone for your help.

Jon

Stipe Tolj wrote:
Jonathan Albrecht schrieb:

I've been trying to run apache as a service using cygrunsrv. I haven't
changed the httpd.conf and running /usr/sbin/httpd from the command line
works fine. Here is what I have done:

> cygrunsrv -I apache -d "Cygwin apache" -p /usr/sbin/httpd -a -k -e
"CYGWIN=ntsec nosmbntsec binmode tty"

         > cygrunsrv -S apache

cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1062:
The service has not been started.

I've tried variations on the spaces and quotes in the command line but
nothing has worked. Any ideas?

check file permissions.
cygrunsrv will start the httpd processes as SYSTEM, hence all logging
directory have to have write permissions for that user or group.

Stipe

tolj@wapme-systems.de
Wapme Systems AG

Vogelsanger Weg 80