Re: Explorer Shell shortcuts with a DOS shell

On 16-Jan-2003 01:13, Dave Hooper wrote:
You know what I would do?  I'd write a tiny .exe (for Win32) wrapper around
cmd.exe and use that to execute your .bat which in turn spawns bash, etc.
Why?  Because as far as I know there's no way to instruct a shortcut to 'run
hidden' (you can run Minimized, though).

So, if the command shell window is 'only slightly' annoying, you can set
your shortcut to

cmd.exe /c your-batch-script.bat

and set that shortcut's properties to run minimized.

But, if the command shell window is 'really very' annoying, write a cheesy
.exe that does a CreateProcess() on cmd.exe and specifies the SW_HIDE flag
on launch.

This is from memory, so apologies in advance for any mistakes or omissions.
NB - this isn't really on-topic for Cygwin as it's a Win32-explorer
integration problem not a Cygwin problem.  Of course, you could use Cygwin
(or Mingw32) to create your wrapper .exe ! :-)

Naturally you'll want to use command.exe instead of cmd.exe if you're using
Win9x instead of NT/2K/XP.  You could even make use of the COMSPEC
environment variable (e.g. on my 2K box Windows has this set to
J:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe)
Or just make sure you have the cygutils package installed, and run:

    cygstart --hide your-batch-script.bat

 - Michael