Re: xinted rsync bluescreen

Dan,

It seems most likely from this that the problem is in your file system. When's the last time you ran CHKDSK? I seem to recall other reports that were for some reason associated with accessing Cygwin's /etc. I cannot explain this other than perhaps as simple coincidence.

I'm not familiar with exactly how much memory protection is in place in Windows 98. I'm under the impression that it's more than on Windows 95, though it is not really a fully protected environment as exists on Windows NT, 2K and XP. That means that it's conceivable that a putative bug in Cygwin could trigger a BSOD under 95 or 98 that would knock down only a single process under one of the other OS versions.

However, judging from the crash dump you supplied, if Cygwin is at fault, it's rather indirect. When memory isn't protected, a symptom can appear far separated in time from the actual software defect that caused it.

Still, it is pretty unlikely that this is a Cygwin bug. If the problem were in Cygwin, then probably others would have it, too.

Check your disks, maybe update your drivers and try fully de-activating any virus checkers or firewalls--they seem to be the worst culprits. Although it seems unlikely for the symptoms you're reporting, video drivers seem to be a weak spot in Windows and they seem to get updated more than any other class of drivers. So much so that I check the Matrox site monthly for driver updates.

Good luck.

Randall Schulz