RE: Repost, different list...File::Spec, cygwin, Syntactic vs. Semantic path analysis

Interesting...wonder why they wouldn't just create pseudo devices in /dev and do the normal unix mount thing?  Seems odd to complicate the simple namespace model needlessly by adding a special syntax.

Even still, just because one wants to have more traditional unix names doesn't preclude the possible design goal of backward compatibility with existing Win32 pathnames to aid in portable tool usage and design.

Even a hard coded /smb/ or /smb:/ prefix on smb <host/sharename> shares would be a better choice that "//".  Why perpetuate the MS view of
SMB being 'special' vs. using an eventual mounting syntax that would allow it to coexist with /nfs/ type files?  If the mount system evolved enough in cygwin, then I could see mount allowing specification of 'nfs' in a mount command -- either as a link to an MS-nfs method (assuming they were supply one) or cygwin-based NFS methods like the universal NFS server...

-linda