/etc/group, /etc/passwd usage by cygwin layer ?

Hello,

Are the /etc/group and /etc/passwd files referenced much by cygwin while
executing programs or doing file accesses ?

The reason for asking is the following.

I have a server process which  schedules build jobs. This process awakes
every five seconds, to have a good response time. However, when looking
at the Task Manager performance display, I now have every five seconds
a spike up to 30% cpu. This is a dual processor system, at 1.8 GHz and a
SCSI subsystem.

The only thing I changed yesterday, was copying a new group file, created
by mkgroup -d. This file is 1669895 bytes large (yes, that is 1.59 Mb), it
contains 22080 group entries.

I done the test. I took the new group file, removed all lines below what I
needed (about 20500), and replaced it. The result is that everything is
snappier under Cygwin.

Do you think this should be filed as a bug ?

Jurgen