Re: Quirky Emacs behavior -- any ideas?

Well, when I try:

M-x describe-function RET documentation RET

I get:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-number-of-arguments #[(new-pos old-pos
&optional escape-from-edge only-in-line inh$
^K^L^M%\211^P;\2035^@\310^N^N^H\"\2035^@\311^H\312\224\312\225#@\211^^^O\313
N\2034^@\314^N^O!^P
\2044^@\315^H!^P)^H)\207" [ad-return-value new-pos old-pos escape-from-edge
only-in-line inhibit-capture-property nil a$
  documentation(documentation)
  describe-function-1(documentation nil t)
  describe-function(documentation)
* call-interactively(describe-function)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

I'm using a clean install of WinXP SP1 and a completely fresh and complete
Cygwin download from 1/3/2003.

The only mods I made to the whole cygwin install were:

Paths in /etc/passwd

Adding the a2ps package in \usr\local

And adding cygwin-mount.el in \usr\local\share\emacs\site-lisp

----

I tried emacs again with no .emacs file and

M-x describe-function RET documentation RET

Produced: (similar to Shin'ichi Matsuo)

documentation is a built-in function.
[Missing arglist.  Please make a bug report.]

 region of text with the same `field' property.
If NEW-POS is nil, then the current point is used instead, and set to the
constrained position if that is different.

If OLD-POS is at the boundary of two fields, then the allowable
positions for NEW-POS depends on the value of the optional argument
ESCAPE-FROM-EDGE: If ESCAPE-FROM-EDGE is nil, then NEW-POS is
constrained to the field that has the same `field' char-property
as any new characters inserted at OLD-POS, whereas if ESCAPE-FROM-EDGE
is non-nil, NEW-POS is constrained to the union of the two adjacent
fields.  Additionally, if two fields are separated by another field with
the special value `boundary', then any point within this special field is
also considered to be `on the boundary'.

If the optional argument ONLY-IN-LINE is non-nil and constraining
NEW-POS would move it to a different line, NEW-POS is returned
unconstrained.  This useful for commands that move by line, like
C-n or C-a, which should generally respect field boundaries
only in the case where they can still move to the right line.

-----

So, is this helpful in decoding the mystery?  Let me know if you think it's
My .emacs file and not emacs (22.2.11) itself.

Regarding the other quirk, I have now noticed that the mystery:

lstat(./kpsewhich) failed ...
./kpsewhich: No such file or directory

is not emacs related but rather bash related.  It's still a mystery, but
it occurs when the following line is invoked -- it's my "Open rxvt here"
line from my explorer right click menu.

F:\Unix\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -g 120x50+50+50 -ls -sr -sb -sl 1000 -fg Black
-bg LightSteelBlue -fn 'Courier New' -title "%1" -e /usr/bin/bash --login -i
-c " emacs \"`cygpath -u '%1'`\" "

Maybe this looks arcane, but until fairly recently 4-6 weeks, it worked fine
without producing the error.

Thanks,
Andrew