Re: gcj and -mno-cygwin

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 07:34:22PM +0100, Lapo Luchini wrote:
>Frank-Michael Moser wrote:
>>Are there plans to implement -mno-cygwin for gcj?
>
>cygwin and no-cygwin are quite different platform, gcj would need to be
>ported "twice" in pratice and, of course, cygwin is closer to original
>linux's gcj.  Though I've just seen a "gcj release candidate" on
>http://www.mingw.org/ and AFAIK mingw is not-so-different from
>no-cygwin.

Cygwin uses a lot of mingw's infrastructure for -mno-cygwin, however, I
don't believe gcj was available when I packaged gcc and gcc-mingw.
gcc-mingw is just a minor repackaging of the offerings from mingw so a
gcj-mingw would be similar.

>They have different meanings but I guess/hope one day they'll converge.

They've already converged for the most part.  Obviously the compilers
are different since the mingw compiler understands only MS-DOS paths
and the cygwin compiler understands UNIX paths but under-the-hood they
should be close to the same thing.  Getting -mno-cygwin working correctly
is tricky though.  It doesn't help that people often think that they can
get around portability problems by doing something like:

gcc -mno-cygwin -I/usr/include foo.c

either.

cgf
--