Re: javac on cygwin

Kevin,

Javac is not particularly special. It is a Windows-native program, and as such requires absolute file and directory names be provided in Windows format (forward slashes are OK, but drive letters are required and the Cygwin notion of root is completely unknown to such programs). PATH-like variables (specifically CLASSPATH) must be in Windows format (semicolon separators).

Both of these conversions is handled by the "cygpath" utility. Learn about it.

I strongly suggest that if your development environment, either individually or as a group, is or is at all likely to become cross-platform (betwen Windows and any kind of Unix), that you adopt a Unix-centered set of build scripts and then create cover scripts that encapsulate the operations that bridge the gap between the POSIX / Unix world of Cygwin and the underlying native Sun Java SDK tools. Do so in a way that allows those translations to be easily switched off, replaced or made null when not needed (when you're working on an actual Unix system).

I do lots of Java under Windows with Cygwin and have for quite a while. Feel free to come back with further questions.

Randall Schulz