Re: Win2000, XEmacs 21.4.10, MH-E, cygwin 1.3.17-1

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Peter Davis wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 03:34:20PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > > Ok, my mistake.  It *is* the nmh binaries.  I just noticed that the
> > > message windows that pop up have titles like
> > >
> > > folder.exe
> > > folders.exe
> > > inc.exe
> > > mark.exe
> > > scan.exe
> > >
> > > However, the raw nmh commands run in the Cygwin bash shell with no
> > > problems.  It's just running them from XEmacs that seems to cause the
> > > problem.
> >
> > Peter,
> >
> > Do you have c:\cygwin\bin (or whatever directory is mounted as your /bin)
> > in your path when you run XEmacs?
>
> I tried adding this to my exec-path, but it made no difference.
> Actually, for MH-E, I explicitly added these paths:
>
> (setq exec-path (cons "c:/cygwin/bin" exec-path))
> (setq mh-progs "c:/cygwin/usr/local/nmh/bin/")
> (setq mh-lib "c:/cygwin/usr/local/nmh/lib/")
> (setq mh-lib-progs "c:/cygwin/usr/local/nmh/lib/")
>
> Apparently XEmacs can find the nmh executables ok, but the executables
> can't find the cygwin1.dll.

I really meant the PATH environment variable, rather than some internal
XEmacs path...  From a DOS prompt, type "echo %PATH%" and see if it
contains "c:\cygwin\bin".

> > Try running "cygcheck -s -v -r" from a
> > command shell inside XEmacs and post the output to the list *as an
> > uncompressed attachment*.
>
> When I open a shell in XEmacs, it's a DOS shell, not a Cygwin Bash
> one.  So there's not much useful information there.

A DOS shell is exactly what I meant.  In fact, I initially typed that, but
then changed it to "command shell".  You should be able to run cygwin
programs from a DOS prompt as long as the PATH is correct.  So please, do
run "c:\cygwin\bin\cygcheck -s -v -r" from that shell and post the output
here *as an uncompressed text attachment*.

> > P.S. This is likely a cygwin problem, so you might wish to remove
> > the other two lists from this discussion and only post the final
> > solution there.
>
> I think this is still somewhat open ended.  The issue seems to be how
> to get the right context in XEmacs so the Cygwin executables work, as
> they do when run in the Bash shell.  One puzzling aspect of this is
> that the setup here is very similar to the one I have at home, but
> this works at home.

The programs work from the bash shell since bash automatically (well,
through /etc/profile) prepends /bin to the path, so the programs know
where to find cygwin1.dll.  If you run cygwin programs from a command
prompt, you need to have c:\cygwin\bin explicitly in your path, or some
programs won't find cygwin1.dll (those that aren't in c:\cygwin\bin, to be
exact).  Your best bet is to try to run any program you have doubts about
from a command prompt - if you get the message that "cygwin1.dll cannot be
found", you most probably have a PATH problem.  However, it's your
decision whether to cross-post.

> Thanks to all respondants for your help!
> -pd

Hope this helps.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune